It is located in Etajima, an island close from Hiroshima.
The Academy was founded in 1876, as The Imperial Japanese Naval Academy. The school was originally located in Tokyo, but in 1888 it was moved to this island.
At this academy, many Imperial Navy leaders were educated, including the famous General Isoroku Yamamoto.
It was occupied by the United Nations after the end of WWII in 1945 until 1956.
This is the main student building - classrooms. All the building materials were imported from England and was constructed in 1893.