2009/10/06

Kanto Mura area

To watch my son's soccer games, I spent much of last weekend at Kanto Mura Ground. Besides soccer, there are other fields for baseball, softball, futsal, etc.



There also is Ajinamoto Stadium, the home of the Division 1 J-League Soccer Team, FC Tokyo.

The soccer courts are right by Chofu Airport. It is used for general aviation and Izu Islands commuter service.

Here, a Dornier Do228 is being serviced.

I knew that Chofu Airport was an important base for the Japanese Army until 1945, so it got me researching for information. The airport was originally for both military and private use, but as the war progressed, it was very much occupied by the Japanese military.

After the war, the airport was taken by the US Military until 1956. Kanto Mura means the Village of Kanto and it actually was where the US Military Family housing used to be.
I found a homepage dedicated to that.

Close from the airport is Japan Air Self Defense Force (JASDF) Air Station in Fuchu. This used to be the 5th US Airforce Headquater.

Right by the entrance sit two airplanes - F104J and F-1.
Again, I feel lucky that our country has never seen a war for 64 years.

6 comments:

nosadawak said...

good

rong1611 said...

Wow! I lived in Kanto Mura from 1968 to 1972. thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

My family also lived on the U.S.A.F. Kanto Mura Family Housing Annex from 1970-1974. It was one of the best places I ever lived as a child. So many great memories! The link above was actually my site, but I took it down due to lack of time needed to keep it updated. However, there is an excellent facebook group called "Chofu Rules!" that is a gathering place on the internet for anyone who lived on KMFHA, and also there is chofu.org, which is an alumni site for anyone who attended Chofu High School (or Middle and Elementary schools) at Kanto Mura.

Unknown said...

I also lived atento m. An attended CHoufo high in 1970 then was mocoma when the Base was clo as ed down

Unknown said...

Yep. I lived there when it first opened in the 1962, I think. Then again in 1969- 1973. Go Vikings! Great memories!

Anonymous said...

That was a great time to be a kid,my family & I lived in kanta mura from 69-72 .alot of memories happened for us back then.