2009/05/10

Sanuki Udon

I visited Takamatsu last week. It is a very nice city in Kagawa Prefecture which is in the island of Shikoku.

The most famous food of the area is udon (pronounced “oo-don”), Japanese noodles that is made with wheat flour, salt, and water. Udon of this region is called "Sanuki Udon." Here is a site explaining more about it by a local person. It is so popular that some people from Honshu would travel there just to eat this udon.

I, too, have this special noodles every time I have a chance to go there. Although it is so famous and popular, the price is very reasonabl.

This time for lunch, I went to an udon restaurant called “Chikusei” in the middle of Takamatsu City. This was my first time to go to this particular restaurant.

There was a long line of people waiting outside of the tiny restaurant - I guess it is like this every day at lunch time!


Here’s my lunch – a bowl of udon with tempura of a Chikuwa and an egg. It was delicious!

Here’s another restaurant right by the local government building – the line was even longer here!

At Takamatsu Airport, I found packages of Chikusei udon noodles sold at a souvenior store. The couple printed on the package are the owners of the restaurant and they are the ones actually made my lunch.


3 comments:

dbp said...

That is a lovely looking lunch.

How was the egg cooked? It looks as if they poached the egg and then fried it tempura style.

datadawak said...

I think what they did was to boiled the egg partially so the yolk was still semi running, yet the white was hard enough so that they could take the shell off before tempura frying it. It really was nice.

dbp said...

Thanks for the information. It sounds really yummy.